> AC Adapter
bluehero
post May 24 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Starting Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,139

Greetings,

I am having problems using the StroboStomp with any of the 9 volt adapters I have. I have the polarity correct and have tried adapters up to 500 mA without success(blank or unstable screen). It works fine on batteries. What are the current requirements for the StroboStomp.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Luneski
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Jun 10 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Strobe Tuning Guru

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Bob,

Regulated power supplies suitable for the StroboStomp would be:

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 (Eight isolated 9VDC 100mA regulated outputs)

Visual Sound 1-Spot (9V fully regulated output)

Carl Martin Big John 9v Power Supply (Seven regulated 9VDC outputs 600mA total)

Godlyke PA9 Power All (9V 800mA regulated output)

b@ss PSA120 adapter (9V 200mA regulated) Do not use the b@ss ACA120 Unregulated power supply!

b@ss ACA, Danelectro DA1, Radioshack, etc., do not have a voltage regulator and are not suitable.

As always with any pedal, be careful - check voltage (9V or 12VDC regulated) & polarity (positive barrel-negative inner sleeve) first and don't overload the power supply's ampere rating by daisy chaining too many pedals from a single supply.

+Quote Post
Witchdoctor
post Jun 17 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #3

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,170

Can the power supply be ordered? If so please email me at witchdocsmusic@aol.com with ordering information. Please do not refer me to a local music store or Guitar Center, as they seem to be too busy to take time to order anything.

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Jun 18 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Strobe Tuning Guru

Witchdoctor,
I'm curious, as a UK user, why would we ever refer you to a Guitar Center?
There are no Guitar Centers outside the USA (no Guitar Centres even), and you live in the UK [?].
Any of our dealers in the UK (they're the best!) would be happy to help you with ordering a power supply for your StroboStomp.
Click here

John N.

+Quote Post
jrock1
post Jul 22 2005, 06:36 AM
Post #5

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,238

Will the Strobostomp work with the DC Brick (the newer ones)?

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Jul 25 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #6

Strobe Tuning Guru

As long as it outputs 9VDC, is center neg polarity, is regulated and supplies a minimum of 85mA to the StroboStomp, it will work.
I notice that Dunlop state that the Brick puts out only 55mA...so check with Dunlop first.

John N.

+Quote Post
erik
post Aug 19 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #7

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,295

Hi,

I'm having the same issue as the original poster of this thread, namely that I cannot get any of my power-supplies to power my Strobostomp. I have tried a B0ss PSA-120 and a Batt-man. Either of these power units will power any of my other pedals. Is there something I'm missing? This condition exists with either both dips up or down. I'd appreciate a suggestion!

Thanks,

Erik

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Aug 22 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #8

Strobe Tuning Guru

Hi Erik,
the Batt-man is a battery emulator, I'm not sure if its regulated or unregulated as I can't find any stats on it, if its not regulated, it will not work with the Stomp, or any pedal with a DSP in it.
It should however, work with a PSA120, unless its total load is exceeded.
I will send you return instructions in case it still does not work.

John N.

+Quote Post
erik
post Aug 24 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #9

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,295

(Converted Post)
Originally posted by John Norris

Hi Erik,
the Batt-man is a battery emulator, I'm not sure if its regulated or unregulated as I can't find any stats on it, if its not regulated, it will not work with the Stomp, or any pedal with a DSP in it.
It should however, work with a PSA120, unless its total load is exceeded.
I will send you return instructions in case it still does not work.

John N.

John shot me an email on Monday, I just spoke with him and my unit now works (end-user error;)?) and I'm happy as a clam:)! I have to say, their customer support is excellent...even while I was holding to speak with John the receptionist kept coming back on the line to ask me if I still wanted to hold, like every minute! I sincerely believe that she was about to offer me a Snapple or something, lol.biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
davidp158
post Sep 5 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #10

Starting Member

Member No.: 776

John, or anyone else who has tried this...

Wll the original Voodoo Lab Pedal Power supply work with the Strobostomp pedal?

I don't have the specs on it, and the Voodoo Labs web site doesn't have info on it. I've got one on my pedal board, but want to see if anyone has safely used it with the Stobostomp before I give it a try.

thanks in advance for your time,
Dave

+Quote Post
Turbo
post Sep 6 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 230

Hello Dave.

I know that the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 will work with the StroboStomp. (9VDC regulated and polarity; positive barrel-negative inner sleeve)

Turbo

+Quote Post
Marshall Johns
post Sep 6 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #12

StroboSoft Support

Member No.: 1,003

At the time the StroboStomp was designed, the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Supply (original) was discontinued and not available.

We tested and approved use of the Voodoo Pedal Power 2 since it was readily available and active in the market.

There are no specifications published on the original Pedal Power that we could find and a call to Voodoo Labs direct revealed that the original Pedal Power did not have enough current to run the Stomp and other pedals at the same time.

We do not approve the use of the original Voodoo Lab Pedal Power supply for that reason.

+Quote Post
davidp158
post Sep 7 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #13

Starting Member

Marshall,

Thanks for the clarification on the Voodoo Lab power suppply (original version). Off hand, do you know if this power supply will work if I don't run additional pedals off the Strobostomp? I have this power supply on my pedalboard, and don't want to have to replace it if it will work with my Strobostomp. Is there a risk of damage to the Strobostomp in trying this pedal?

Thanks for your time,
Dave

(Converted Post)
Originally posted by Marshall Johns

At the time the StroboStomp was designed, the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Supply (original) was discontinued and not available.

We tested and approved use of the Voodoo Pedal Power 2 since it was readily available and active in the market.

There are no specifications published on the original Pedal Power that we could find and a call to Voodoo Labs direct revealed that the original Pedal Power did not have enough current to run the Stomp and other pedals at the same time.

We do not approve the use of the original Voodoo Lab Pedal Power supply for that reason.

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Sep 7 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #14

Strobe Tuning Guru

Hi David,
Its not really possible to comment on a power supply which is obsolete and has no stats, what other pedals are you using with the PP1?

John N.

+Quote Post
ucnick
post Sep 7 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #15

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,354

FYI, Radio Shack has a variety of fixed and adjustable output wall warts available, I think they may be switchers since they are universal input (100 to 240VAC, 50-60Hz). I used to use a couple to power my pedalboard (have since switched to a DC Brick to save space). The regulated ones work quite well - I measured outputs both on a meter and on an oscilloscope to look at output under load and noise under load and they provided nominal voltage (9V) at several hundred mA with low noise (as I recall, less that 50 mVpp)just fine. They also have many flavors of barrel adaper, just need to make sure you get the right size and hook it up for center (-) polarity. Maybe the Peterson reps can tell us the correct barrel size? Also, maybe they could supply a small AC adapter with the Strobostomp, like the VS-II comes with one? Small is good, I need to save space on my board. BTW I love my VS-II, none of my other tuners can touch it!

+Quote Post
davidp158
post Sep 8 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #16

Starting Member

John,

I've looked for specs on the original Voodoo Lab power supply and haven't found them. I will email them directly and see if they can provide them.

The other pedals I've succesfully used with the VL power supply are:
Klon Centaur
Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive
Xotic RC Booster
TIM Boost
Fulltone Fat Boost
Voodoo Lab Tremolo
Line6 Tonecore TapTremolo (yuk...junk!)
k&$g DT-7 tuner

I think the main difference between the original and version II power supply is that the new one has an 18 volt option as well as a "sag" control to mimic a fading 9 volt battery.

I don't intend to use the daisy chain "output" jack on the Strobostomp to power other pedals, by the way. I just want to connect the Strobostomp, and 4 to 5 other pedals directly to individual power taps on my, uh, "vintage" (if it works, is it obsolete?) VL power supply.

regards,
Dave

(Converted Post)

Hi David,
Its not really possible to comment on a power supply which is obsolete and has no stats, what other pedals are you using with the PP1?

John N.

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Sep 8 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #17

Strobe Tuning Guru

Even though the pedals you list are low on current draw, I would guess that the PP1 should be able to power the StroboStomp, we have had at least one user that did have problems with the PP1 though.
(Converted Post)
my, uh, "vintage" (if it works, is it obsolete?) VL power supply.

It is if there is no support for it, I am just hoping that it didn't have a problem that had to be "buried" by removing all images and info and by replacing it with the PP2.

John N.

+Quote Post
davidp158
post Sep 9 2005, 09:36 AM
Post #18

Starting Member

John,

I received the info below from Voodoo Labs, regarding the original version Pedal Power Supply. I have had zero problems with this power supply, which is why I want to keep using it. Its saved me a bundle in batteries (bad for environment, anyway) and has provided consistent power.

Digital Music Corp is exceptional with their warranty service, and they have even helped me out with gear past the warranty date. I don't think they are the kind of company to "hide" info on an "obsolete" product. The PP2 was introduced to provide more options, and they simply discontinued the original model. PP2 has more features at the same price, so no need to confuse new buyers with info on a product that's no longer available. Mine still works like a champ, and I'd buy the new model if I ever had to replace it.

Dave

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From Digital Music Corp/Voodoo Labs support:

The original Pedal Power offers two possibilities for each output. For each output. if the corresponding switch underneath is set to "On," you get 9VDC. If it is "Off," you get 12.3VDC, and that will satisfy the b@ss "ACA" power requirement for some of their older pedals. There are a maximum of 80 mA of current at
each output.

I don't have a copy of the original Pedal Power manual in electronic format, but I'll send you a hard copy one to the address below.

Best Regards,

John Aycock
Digital Music Corp
www.voodoolab.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(Converted Post)

Even though the pedals you list are low on current draw, I would guess that the PP1 should be able to power the StroboStomp, we have had at least one user that did have problems with the PP1 though.
(Converted Post)
my, uh, "vintage" (if it works, is it obsolete?) VL power supply.

It is if there is no support for it, I am just hoping that it didn't have a problem that had to be "buried" by removing all images and info and by replacing it with the PP2.

John N.

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Sep 9 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #19

Strobe Tuning Guru

80mA is a little tight but as long as you switch the output to "On" (9V) and assuming that the PP1 produces a regulated 9V supply, you should be OK.
I didn't mean any slur against any other company, but we have spent time chasing down info on other peoples products to answer peoples questions on this forum and have been amazed at how some stuff just "disappears" without trace.
Info on our own "obsolete" products is accessible for anyone through the original manuals and info on this site.

Have fun with your StroboStomp!

John N.

+Quote Post
davidp158
post Sep 9 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #20

Starting Member

John,

Thanks for the reply. I understand your stance on this matter, and no offense taken.
have a great weekend,
Dave

(Converted Post)

80mA is a little tight but as long as you switch the output to "On" (9V) and assuming that the PP1 produces a regulated 9V supply, you should be OK.
I didn't mean any slur against any other company, but we have spent time chasing down info on other peoples products to answer poeoples questions on this forum and have been amazed at how some stuff just "disappears" without trace.
We have decided to make info on our own "obsolete" products accessible for anyone through the original manuals and info on this site.

Have fun with your StroboStomp!

John N.

+Quote Post
westland
post Sep 16 2005, 03:48 AM
Post #21

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,369

I just received my new StroboStomp through the mail, and had an hour or so to play with it. I had tuned my bass with one before in Hong Kong, and am convinced that operationally, they are the absolute best tuners ... their response is instantaneous, and even when the string is still settling into its tune, you can visually tell whether it is the right tune or not. Very clear, and (up to this point) though it appeared to be indestructable.

I decided to save on batteries by hooking up a 9v wallwort power supply. I used a Panasonic 9VDC with the correct polarity (I checked it with a voltmeter prior to using, as I always do with electrical equipment).

I plugged it into the "In" plug on the rear of the StroboStomp, heard a **POP** [xx(] with a small spark, and smell of burnt insulation.

The Strobostomp still works on battery power (I haven't reconnected the power supply). So curious, I opened the box and unscrewed the PC board that held the power plug to take a look at it, and one of a set of three flat yellow capacitors (the board silkscreen says C5) had fried itself (I've got pictures that I can post here).

What do you think I should do at this point? Though the unit works, I'm not convinced that I shold rely on it, even though the damage seems to be restricted to the power PC rather than the one that mounts the display.

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Sep 16 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #22

Strobe Tuning Guru

Hi Westland,
Click on my name to the left of this post and email me your address. I will send you a new board.
I would steer clear of that power supply in the future.

John N.

+Quote Post
westland
post Sep 19 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #23

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,369

John:

I just wanted to check that you had received my email and address, as I hadn't heard a reply. I'm at

Chris Westland
Tower 14 Flat 5B HKUST
Clearwater Bay, Kowloon
Hong Kong

+Quote Post
buckethead777
post Oct 1 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #24

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,397

Hi John,
I'm from Australia, and can i use a b@ss PSA-240P adaptor on my StroboStomp?
Thanks mate

+Quote Post
Turbo
post Oct 1 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 230

Hi buckethead777,

yes you can use the b@ss PSA-240P on your StroboStomp. The PSA-240P is the Australian version of the PSA-240, and has an input voltage: 220-240v AC 50hz, output voltage: 9v DC 200mA regulated and the output connector polarity: centre female socket negative (-) and outside positive (+).

Turbo

+Quote Post
buckethead777
post Oct 1 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #26

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,397

Good on ya mate, thanks for your reply.

+Quote Post
regular slinky
post Oct 2 2005, 07:05 AM
Post #27

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,402

Hi,

would one of these work to power the strobostomp?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...rldID=&doy=2m10

Any replies would be fantastic, thanks

+Quote Post
regular slinky
post Oct 2 2005, 07:07 AM
Post #28

Starting Member

Hi,

Would this work for powering the strobostomp?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...rldID=&doy=2m10

Any replies would be greatfully received

Cheers

Rich

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Oct 3 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #29

Strobe Tuning Guru

Hi,
the specs unfortunately don't mention whether the power supply is regulated or how much current per channel it can supply.

John N.

+Quote Post
regular slinky
post Oct 3 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #30

Starting Member

If you click the specs at the top it will inform you of some of things you mention. But i'm not sure, will yopu please look again?

Thanks

Rich

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Oct 3 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #31

Strobe Tuning Guru

It has a total of 450mA going to 5 outputs and is apparently regulated, so it should work, however, we have not tested it.

John N.

+Quote Post
regular slinky
post Oct 3 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #32

Starting Member

cheers for swift and informative reply. It's really cheap so i might just go for it.

Cheers

Rich

+Quote Post
ClarkD
post Oct 6 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #33

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,410

I just got my strobostomp and I'm very pleased. I have a question that relates to the "on when you plug in the cord" feature of the unit. Would there be any problem to pulling the battery and plugging in an external power supply that is connected to a switched powerstrip? That way, I can just have it plugged in in my basement studio so when I power everything up it's plugged in and ready to go. I'm assuming that it would turn itself off when it has no power and then turn itself on when it gets power. Or would this confuse its little brain?

I haven't played with this yet because right now I don't have a power supply but I'm going to get one this weekend.

+Quote Post
FrogRick12
post Oct 9 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #34

Starting Member

Member No.: 1,385

My Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 works great with my Strobostomp!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 06:51 PM