IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is The Stomp Classic A Step Up From The Strobostomp?
gunforhire
post Apr 13 2011, 01:08 AM
Post #1

Starting Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 639

I need to get a backup to my strobosoft as its having the snow leopard issues mentioned elsewhere. I have a tour jetting round the globe in a couple of months so i need a backup or a main tuner and its either going to be a stomp classic or a strobostomp 2.. so my question is whats the main differences. is it just the displays. what would be the better Guitar tech tuner I'm mainly looking after bass's and guitars, nothing too crazy? The stomp classic looks way cool. any help would be cool so I can start preparing my toolkit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Apr 13 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #2

Strobe Tuning Guru

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Gavin,
In my time as a tech in the 80s and 90s, a mechanical strobe was standard gear for working onstage, I still think its the ultimate tool for the working tech on stage, tune anything - anytime, in any audio environment or situation.
Infallibility is a beautiful thing when you're surrounded by a thousand things that can go wrong.

If you're on a budget, I would look at getting a StroboFlip, the Stomp Classic is certainly cool, but its a pedal tuner and therefore mainly a players tuner, to me a pedal tuner looks strange on a professional tech's bench.
Working for musicians, be they wet behind the ears or older seasoned pros, you get used to their expectation that you are armed with skills and tools that they don't otherwise have access to.

I wanted all the control possible on my strobe tuners when I toured, a cent vernier control was very important for measuring changes when doing intonation and adjusting action, tuning Rhodes and Wurly pianos and all the tasks thrown the way of a tech, expected or unexpected. The StroboFlip gives you some of those features.
Of course thats just my opinion, you're entitled to disagree, after all, you're the one who's on stage now.

John N. (Downstage Right )

+Quote Post
gunforhire
post Apr 17 2011, 01:49 AM
Post #3

Starting Member

Cheers for that info. i always thought a tech with a floor pedal tuner looked a bit second rate, but i did see this last night in Billy gibbons rack that his tech Elwood tours with.

I have managed to find my fault in my VSII a faulty on/off switch , so I have replaced that and have that back working again.. so I'll pack that in my production case and take that as my tuner and keep the Strobosoft as my backup.. I've missed my old VSII so many many fond memories around that tuner. smile.gif

+Quote Post
gunforhire
post Apr 17 2011, 02:18 AM
Post #4

Starting Member

I'm working on saving up to get a Autostrobe 490 . smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 11:39 AM