> What About This Adapter?
JDC
post Jul 20 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Starting Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 122

Hi,

After "retiring" my Conn ST-11, I bought a VS-1 in 2001. I think the VS-1 was the "latest, greatest" digital tuner offering from Peterson at the time. After using the VS-1 for years, I recently bought a StroboFlip. I really like it and have a question for you.

When run off AC power, the adapter that came with the StroboFlip emits a high pitched (G#/Ab) sound. It isn't loud, but it is definitely there. I had intended on using the tuner in line on my pedal board but am afraid that this pitch will translate into line noise. For this reason I've been using it with batteries and out of my effects chain.

Since I gig on cruise ships, I *thought* this unwanted sound might have been a result of the ship's particular grounding/earthing system. However, I am home and "on the grid" now and can duplicate the situation from wall outlets here.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Also, do you make a padded carry case for the StroboFlip? It is not protected by a soft, energy absorbing sleeve as are the VS models (I, II, SAM) and doesn't have a metal shell as do the StroboStomp models.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Jul 22 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #2

Strobe Tuning Guru

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi JDC,
Try isolating the ground pin when you're using the adapter. For pedalboard use, remember that the StroboFlip will not run on the 9V adapter you're using for pedals, the StroboStomp would suit in this case (and you get a built-in DI and a mute switch).
We don't have a case for the StroboFlip, its protected by its clamshell design, no screen or button is exposed and we haven't had a broken enclosure yet.
As you're on a ship, you might be interested to hear that the StroboFlip is fairly resistant to water (hope you never to find out!), we have had some returned for checkup after the recent major flood swamped the Soundcheck storage place in Nashville, most of the Petersons immersed in water there have survived regardless of vintage.
I hope things are good for you on the high seas.

John Norris
Peterson Strobe Tuners

+Quote Post
JDC
post Jul 23 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #3

Starting Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 122

Thanks for the response John,

I know that the StroboStomp is the incarnation designed for pedal board duty. I was just toying with the idea of trying the StroboFlip in that position.

Yes, I was/am aware that the StroboFlip requires the 5V adapter.I wouldn't have noticed the high pitched signal, to which I referred, unless I'd tried using that. But..since it looks as if my idea of using it inline isn't going to fly, I guess it doesn't really matter if that background transformer noise exists.

I'm with you 100% in hoping I never have to find out whether water will affect the StroboFlip. If immersion didn't effect the units you mentioned, I am fairly confident that 90% humidity (Caribbean during the summer...which is my next gig) won't phase my StroboFlip !!

I don't know where I saw it, but while I was in an internet cafe in Juneau, Alaska, during the previous cruise ship contract, I seem to remember seeing that you were coming out with a new model virtual strobe inspired by the looks of the old Conn ST-11.. Did I imagine that or is there an official "roll out" date?

Thanks again,

QUOTE (John Norris @ Jul 22 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Hi JDC,
Try isolating the ground pin when you're using the adapter. For pedalboard use, remember that the StroboFlip will not run on the 9V adapter you're using for pedals, the StroboStomp would suit in this case (and you get a built-in DI and a mute switch).
We don't have a case for the StroboFlip, its protected by its clamshell design, no screen or button is exposed and we haven't had a broken enclosure yet.
As you're on a ship, you might be interested to hear that the StroboFlip is fairly resistant to water (hope you never to find out!), we have had some returned for checkup after the recent major flood swamped the Soundcheck storage place in Nashville, most of the Petersons immersed in water there have survived regardless of vintage.
I hope things are good for you on the high seas.

John Norris
Peterson Strobe Tuners

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 07:45 AM