Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stroboclip
Ken5
post May 28 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Starting Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,652

Any idea when the stroboclip is going to be available in stores? Also, I am assuming it is a piezo unit, does it also have a built in mic?

Thanks!

Ken
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Jun 3 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Strobe Tuning Guru

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Ken5 @ May 29 2010, 02:47 AM) *
Any idea when the stroboclip is going to be available in stores?

We're very close, it will ship this month.

QUOTE (Ken5 @ May 29 2010, 02:47 AM) *
Also, I am assuming it is a piezo unit, does it also have a built in mic?

Thanks!

Ken

No mic, just a pickup.

John N.

+Quote Post
acoustic12
post Jun 14 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #3

Starting Member

Member No.: 4,688

You've been shipping since April, John :-) Please.. do you have a specific date?

+Quote Post
Ken5
post Jun 15 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #4

Starting Member

QUOTE (acoustic12 @ Jun 14 2010, 02:53 AM) *
You've been shipping since April, John :-) Please.. do you have a specific date?

Yes.... and an updated stroboclip page with more photos would be great! And a manual in the online manuals here at Peterson.

+Quote Post
acoustic12
post Jun 16 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #5

Starting Member

Sweet mother of god why is it taking so long?

+Quote Post
acoustic12
post Jun 22 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Starting Member

+Quote Post
djy321
post Jun 25 2010, 02:00 AM
Post #7

Starting Member

Member No.: 3,231

I just got an email from Thomann.de telling me the earliest delivery date (europe) would be 23rd July. It gets pushed back. I will wait and work with a tuning fork for a while longer. Can't hurt.

dy

+Quote Post
djy321
post Jun 25 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #8

Starting Member

I just got an email from Thomann.de telling me the earliest delivery date (europe) would be 23rd July. It gets pushed back. I will wait and work with a tuning fork for a while longer. Can't hurt.

dy

+Quote Post
acoustic12
post Jun 26 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #9

Starting Member

Yep, moving away from me too dry.gif

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Jul 19 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Strobe Tuning Guru

The StroboClip commenced shipping to dealers last week.
Sorry for the delay, guys, I think its worth the wait, though!

Instruction manuals here:

SC-1 StroboClip in English

SC-1 StroboClip auf Deutsch

SC-1 StroboClip en Espanol

SC-1 StroboClip en Francais

SC-1 StroboClip in Italiano

John N.

+Quote Post
Ken5
post Jul 20 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Starting Member

QUOTE (John Norris @ Jul 19 2010, 06:01 PM) *
The StroboClip commenced shipping to dealers last week.
Sorry for the delay, guys, I think its worth the wait, though!

Great news John, thanks for the update! Cool that there is a sustain mode and a banjo sweetened tuning.

Ken

+Quote Post
djy321
post Jul 27 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #12

Starting Member

Mine has shipped. I will report when it arrives

+Quote Post
bluesriff
post Jul 29 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #13

Starting Member

Member No.: 4,721

Took delivery and have already used it on-the-job last night and will again tonight.
The "Real Time" Strobe Display is great (vs meter needle delays on other ClipOns) and of course the 0.1 cents accuracy is superb.
Should be a major time savor for on-the-job tuning of multiple instruments.
Love the nifty little compact protective metal traveling case and standard issue CR2032 battery.

So far, I like the ACU Sweetener preset, but still evaluating others. Great job Peterson.

+Quote Post
djy321
post Aug 2 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #14

Starting Member

It's arrived eventually. That was a long wait.

It has helped me get my mandolin in MUCH better tune than I was managing with a TP-3 clip on and Strobosoft 2. I couldn't get the clip to sense the notes well enough and the display was too unstable to be of much help.

The Stroboclip has none of those problems and reads out loud and clear every time, with or without the Sus feature, which as far as I can tell is just a slower meter ballistic than the normal setting. The jury is still out between the three choices I've found: The basic chromatic setting seems to do a good job; Violin fifths also; Sweetened mandolin helps for playing further up the neck, an area I was having real problems with using Strobosoft.

Where these fellows fall down is in industrial design: the fit and finish is kind of slack and it looks and feels a bit like a prototype from someone's workshop. The battery tray is not attached to the device and immediately got lost on the floor. The switches don't inspire confidence, and there's an odd little hinged device on the back inner side of the clip that looks like it wouldn't survive too much road wear. I'm keeping a safe hold on the warranty docs from my dealer.

To sum up: really good tuning, sensing and display. Slightly unnerving construction and physical design.

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Aug 2 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #15

Strobe Tuning Guru

Hi Bluesriff and djy321,
Thanks for your reviews, just a few answers:

the Sus feature, which as far as I can tell is just a slower meter ballistic than the normal setting

A slower meter ballistic would still not be able to read very brief notes the way the SUS feature does, its a little more complex.

The battery tray is not attached to the device and immediately got lost on the floor.

The battery door does not fall off the tuner like other types (when the tuner hits the deck especially), true you can pull it out of its housing, but it will not do that by itself.

The switches don't inspire confidence

The buttons are enclosed by aluminum, which wraps around the tuner, thats pretty rare, if not unheard of, for a Clip-On tuner.
To those who have stated on forums that the StroboClip has a fake brushed plastic enclosure, wrong, IT IS ALUMINUM rolleyes.gif

and there's an odd little hinged device on the back inner side of the clip that looks like it wouldn't survive too much road wear

Its just a leveling device to ensure that the jaw is properly seated for max sensitivity and protection of the instrument to which its attached, pretty standard stuff.

I'm keeping a safe hold on the warranty docs from my dealer.

Anyone who knows us as a company knows that we try to offer the best service possible and we stand behind our products 100%, without a need for extra warranties from dealers.
Enjoy the stroboClip!

John N.

P.S. We've found some people who couldn't get the tuner to work, until it dawned on us that they had not removed the screen protection foil - remove the foil first laugh.gif

One or two have commented that the metal storage case will not fit in their guitar case, it fits in all my acoustic guitar cases, whether 0 style, dreadnaught or jumbo, even my 1905 Baystate Parlor case which barely qualifies as a case!

+Quote Post
djy321
post Aug 3 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #16

Starting Member

Many thanks for your comments and clarifications John.

Could you explain a little more about the sus feature? Also I am a bit puzzled by the display - in previous lives the two bands of the display would have represented different octaves or harmonics of the note. In the stroboclip the two bands seem to be locked together with the only variation being the length of the outer bars. It kind of looks like the outer bars might be some kind of sensitivity indication. It's not in the documentation.

As for the little hinged thingy, it's completely clear what it's for, and it might indeed be responsible for the excellent stabilty of the display. It was its solidity that I was concerned about - if that thing is damaged, you have an ex-tuner on your hands. As for the switches, it was the power switch I was most concerned about: You have to push the rubber button just right to get the switch to engage (when the switch does engage the feel is very good and positive). It kind of feels like one of those reset switches you need a ballpoint pen to operate.

Basically I'm very happy with it, and it was well worth the wait, but I'm on the road a lot, and I'm aware how easy it is for stuff to go down. I have two of each instrument, two amps, at least two tuners etc etc. (just one life, tho', best to be careful with it)

regards, David Young

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Aug 5 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #17

Strobe Tuning Guru

Could you explain a little more about the sus feature?

In the event that you have an instrument with a very short voice, SUStain mode comes in handy, it extends the viewing time beyond the natural duration of the note.
Banjo and mandolin work fine in NORmal mode, but things like a barking tenor banjo with old strings or instruments with no natural sustain which are impossible to tune with other clip-on tuners are easy to tune with the StroboClip in SUS mode.

In the stroboclip the two bands seem to be locked together with the only variation being the length of the outer bars.

Its a simpler display, the top row will halve in length in SUS mode while the signal is being held.

John N.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 06:18 AM