IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strobo Flipup Not Working On Mains Supply (uk)
chezqui
post Sep 17 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #1

Starting Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,279

Hi Guys

yesterday morning I got the Ipod app and was so impressed that in the afternoon i went to my local dealer and bought a stroboflip. I had been looking at them for a while but didn't want to invest that many UK pounds without first trying the product. The Iphone experience swung the deal.

Yikes! I plugged into the mains supply with the supplied UK plug, placed the TP-2 on the headstock and got no response. The display just sits there on G. I tried the Mic and again nothing. The only way to get a response is to use the jack input and then it is like watching a fruit machine (slot machine?) roll. It was really depressing!

Then I looked on the forum and noticed the comments about the ground (earth) being a requirement. I tried several different sockets around the house but then noticed that the ground pin for the UK plug is made of plastic, ie isn't conducting anything but just opens the socket for the other two pins to enter.

So I put some batteries in the unit and as if by magic the whole system works just great and I love it again.

What can be done about the power supply? Any suggestions.

Just out of interest I tried it with batteries in and with the mains power adapter. Back to the same old problems.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Sep 17 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Strobe Tuning Guru

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Chezqui,
If you're having ground problems, the only way around them is to use a 5V UK DC adapter where all pins are metal.
Failing that, a grounded US StroboFlip power supply with a UK pin adapter (where all 3 pins are metal), all StroboFlip adapters work on any voltage between 95VAC and 250VAC, so the local voltage doesn't matter, just the pins.
To verify if its a ground problem, connect the 1/4" output of your StroboFlip to an amplifier input or similar grounded appliance while using the power supply.

John N.

+Quote Post
chezqui
post Sep 17 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Starting Member

QUOTE (John Norris @ Sep 17 2009, 11:46 AM) *
Hi Chezqui,
If you're having ground problems, the only way around them is to use a 5V UK DC adapter where all pins are metal.
Failing that, a grounded US StroboFlip power supply with a UK pin adapter (where all 3 pins are metal), all StroboFlip adapters work on any voltage between 95VAC and 250VAC, so the local voltage doesn't matter, just the pins.
To verify if its a ground problem, connect the 1/4" output of your StroboFlip to an amplifier input or similar grounded appliance while using the power supply.

John N.

Hi John

Brilliant! I just took a 1/4" jack from the StroboFlip to my amp. With the amp on the unit is fine on the mains adapter. As soon as I switch the amp off, she goes haywire (is this a US term as well ;-) SO the adapter looks like the problem. It is the one supplied in the box so are all UK units causing a problem, or am I the only problem?

+Quote Post
chezqui
post Sep 18 2009, 04:29 AM
Post #4

Starting Member

Hi John

I went back to the store and they graciously gave me another StoboFlip to try but the problem is the same. I hate to say it but this is a Peterson problem now. I can buy an aftermarket power feed but as you said in a previous posting this would invalidate any warranty. sad.gif

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Sep 18 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #5

Strobe Tuning Guru

Hi Chezqui,
Some people have a problem with ground (earth), it depends on the local electrical circumstances.
Send me your name & address (click on my name to the left of this post to PM) and I will see what I can do.

John N.

+Quote Post
chezqui
post Sep 19 2009, 06:12 AM
Post #6

Starting Member

QUOTE (John Norris @ Sep 18 2009, 03:01 PM) *
Hi Chezqui,
Some people have a problem with ground (earth), it depends on the local electrical circumstances.
Send me your name & address (click on my name to the left of this post to PM) and I will see what I can do.

John N.

PM sent

+Quote Post
chezqui
post Oct 6 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #7

Starting Member

QUOTE (John Norris @ Sep 18 2009, 03:01 PM) *
Hi Chezqui,

John N.

Hey hey John, it works beautifully! Many thanks for your help here.

+Quote Post
James Bond (UK)
post Apr 5 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #8

Starting Member

Member No.: 4,590

QUOTE (chezqui @ Sep 17 2009, 11:15 AM) *
Hi Guys

yesterday morning I got the Ipod app and was so impressed that in the afternoon i went to my local dealer and bought a stroboflip. I had been looking at them for a while but didn't want to invest that many UK pounds without first trying the product. The Iphone experience swung the deal.

Yikes! I plugged into the mains supply with the supplied UK plug, placed the TP-2 on the headstock and got no response. The display just sits there on G. I tried the Mic and again nothing. The only way to get a response is to use the jack input and then it is like watching a fruit machine (slot machine?) roll. It was really depressing!

Then I looked on the forum and noticed the comments about the ground (earth) being a requirement. I tried several different sockets around the house but then noticed that the ground pin for the UK plug is made of plastic, ie isn't conducting anything but just opens the socket for the other two pins to enter.

So I put some batteries in the unit and as if by magic the whole system works just great and I love it again.

What can be done about the power supply? Any suggestions.

Just out of interest I tried it with batteries in and with the mains power adapter. Back to the same old problems.

I have same problem

UK Power Unit - StroboFlip VS-F

I have a HUDSON DBJ-85 BANJO 5-string but when I use the Peterson StroboFlip VS-F,

And it does not say the manual about battery warning when to replace the battery but I have found out by myself that if the display faded changed batteries

But before I changed the battery’s I tried to use the UK power unit (3 pin plug) ground pin is made of plastic UK power unit that come with the kit, so when you plug it in you get a blue light and when I set it up for my banjo i.e. DOBR◑ (1/2 moon) and try to tune it on all strings it is stuck on G but I don’t know if the Euro power unit will solve the problem then add UK pin adapter (where all 3 pins are metal) or not as I have not tried this Euro power unit to find out if it would work

Can any one help on this matter

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Apr 5 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #9

Strobe Tuning Guru

QUOTE (James Bond (UK) @ Apr 5 2010, 01:44 PM) *
I have same problem

UK Power Unit - StroboFlip VS-F

I have a HUDSON DBJ-85 BANJO 5-string but when I use the Peterson StroboFlip VS-F,

And it does not say the manual about battery warning when to replace the battery but I have found out by myself that if the display faded changed batteries

But before I changed the battery’s I tried to use the UK power unit (3 pin plug) ground pin is made of plastic UK power unit that come with the kit, so when you plug it in you get a blue light and when I set it up for my banjo i.e. DOBR◑ (1/2 moon) and try to tune it on all strings it is stuck on G but I don’t know if the Euro power unit will solve the problem then add UK pin adapter (where all 3 pins are metal) or not as I have not tried this Euro power unit to find out if it would work

Can any one help on this matter

Hi James,

Click on my name to the left of this post and send me your postal address, I will send you an earthed power supply. It will have US style pins on it, so you will need to get a US to UK pin converter (see posts above) so that it will fit in a UK mains socket.

John N

+Quote Post
James Bond (UK)
post Apr 14 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #10

Starting Member

Member No.: 4,590

Thank you for the replacement USA PSA and works great and for the free cap

USA PSA but you will need USA UK earthed fuse adaptor but be sure all 3 pins are metal and this will solve the problem but I don’t know if the Euro power adapters will solve the problem it as I have not tried it but I don’t think it will as it has only has two pin and no earth pin

see image at:

http://www.readytoleave.com/Design-Go-USA-...details/Froogle

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 08:40 PM