Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peterson Tuner showing 4th octave when in 3rd
royale-sojin
post Oct 6 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #1

Starting Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 855

John, I recently bought a peterson tuner 420 off ebay on your advice that conn st-11 needs to be repaired often. Following Floyd Stevens instructions on how to tune piano using peterson 400, I kept seeing the 4th octave notes very clearly when I am playing the 3rd octave notes on the piano. Otherwise it seems to be functioning correctly, what's wrong ?

I switched back to my old conn st-8 last time when attempting to use the peterson 420 (which has image clarifier and display clearer than my old conn st-8). My old conn st-8 seems to be still functioning.

I have successes with tunelab too but strobotuners come in very handy once you get used to them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Oct 6 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Strobe Tuning Guru

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Joel,
The second partial of a note is one octave above the fundamental, a real strobe like the 420 can show both first and second partials at the same time.

John N.

+Quote Post
royale-sojin
post Oct 8 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #3

Starting Member

Thanks John for your usual quick response. I can see your point. However, in order to follow Floyd's instructions precisely, I have to read the 3rd Octave even though it is not very clear in relation to the 4th Octave which is actually the 1st overtone. I saw your reply on someone's question on why a 420 was 14 cents flat. Is there a good easy way/procedure for me to test the 420 to tell whether it is still in good condition ?

By the way, I solve the previous problem with my B flat left of middle C. An experienced Yamaho piano tuner dropped by and told me one of the string is sounding right so we are replacing one of the string. He tuned my piano by ear and said it was generally flat, otherwise sound ok. Tunelab is pretty good, I tried it. I am working on making tunelab97 work for me on the labtop. But I am used to strobotuner disc reading now so it is always good to have a couple bells and whistles in my bags of tricks to use..

+Quote Post
John Norris
post Oct 11 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #4

Strobe Tuning Guru

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

(Converted Post)
Is there a good easy way/procedure for me to test the 420 to tell whether it is still in good condition ?

Set the Vernier knob on the Model 420 to 0 cents and run a signal from a tone generator set to 440Hz into it, if the stroboscopic image doesn't move it's fine.

John N.

+Quote Post
royale-sojin
post Oct 29 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Starting Member

(Converted Post)
Originally posted by John Norris

(Converted Post)
Is there a good easy way/procedure for me to test the 420 to tell whether it is still in good condition ?

Set the Vernier knob on the Model 420 to 0 cents and run a signal from a tone generator set to 440Hz into it, if the stroboscopic image doesn't move it's fine.

John N.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 01:17 PM